I’ve always known I would like to have a family with two children. It was nice growing up with a sibling and as much as we had our ups and downs, it is really great to always have someone be there for you.
Recently, I’ve cleaned up my Facebook account, by starting to unfollow posts and friends that were not bringing any positivity into my life. A social rest if you will… but by doing this, someone the pages I have been following that I haven’t noticed in a while started popping up. To my surprise, there is a lot of negativity on the internet this week regarding having baby #2.
Here are a few titles of the posts that I’ve read:
These articles make me so sad. I always knew that having a second child was going to be difficult, but I find this depressing and discouraging and the baby isn’t even here yet!
In the first post by Dr.PsychMom, there is part of the article that I do like and will try and take this advice to heart.
So, if you’re struggling after baby #2, do the following:
1. Wait till 6 months before you make any rash decisions, like that you don’t love each other any more.
2. Start having sex again, even if you’re not feeling it.
3. Start trying to do nice things again for your spouse, even if it feels fake at first.
4. Start doing date nights, or even stay at home date nights if that’s all you can swing right now, emotionally and/or financially.
6. Accept that your life has changed, and work together as a team to come up with some practical compromises and ways to make your lives better (e.g., weekly sitter, mother’s helpers, therapy, scheduling sex, not criticizing one another’s parenting, housekeeper twice a month, grocery delivery, ordering in more, designated alone time for socializing/working out for each parent, and so forth).
For those of you with more than one child, how did you do it? Have you read these posts before? What are you thoughts on them?